Nepal is one of the richest countries in the worlds in terms of bio-diversity due to its unique geographical position and altitudinal variation. The elevation of the country ranges from 60 meter above sea level to the highest point on earth, Mount Everest at 8,848 meter, all within a distance of 150 km resulting into climatic conditions from Sub-tropical to Arctic.
The Himalayan Kingdom of Nepal is undoubtedly one of the most beautiful countries in the world. Himalayan Pilgrimage, Nature's Amphitheater, Land of Mt. Everest & Yak & Yeti, a tiny Kingdom of 36 ethnic groups and 75 spoken languages, Melting pot of Hinduism and Buddhism, Birthplace of Lord Buddha, Abode of Shiva, Country of Living Goddess, City of Golden Pagodas, Parasols and Land of non-stop Festivals. From the highest point on earth to the jungle lowlands along the Indian border, it contains an incredible variety of scenery. The Kathmandu Valley is practically a living museum, with hundreds of highly decorated temples scattered through its towns and villages; the abundance of plant and animal life makes Nepal a naturalist’s paradise, whilst the mountains offer a backdrop unsurpassed anywhere else on earth. For many people though, the lasting memory of Nepal is the extraordinary friendliness of the Nepalese people.
Nepal occupying only 0.1% of the total landmass of the earth and it is a home to;
- 2% of all the flowering plants in the worlds.
- 8% of the world’s population of birds (more than 848 species).
- 4% of mammals on earth.
- 11 of the world’s 15 families of butterflies (more than 500 species.
- 600 indigenous plant families.
- 319 species of exotic orchids.
Area: 147,181 sq. Kilometers.
Location: Situated between China in the north & India in the south, East & West.
Population: 23.1 Million.
Altitude: 60 meters from sea level to highest 8,848 meters.
Language: Nepali is the national language. However travel-trade & educated people understand & speak English as well.
Political System: Federal Democratic Republic of Nepal.
Climate: Nepal has four major seasons namely;
(1) Winter: December – February,
(2) Spring: March – May,
(3) Summer: June – August,
(4) Autumn: September – November. Nepal can be visited the whole year round.
Time: Nepal Time is 5 hours 45 minutes ahead of GMT and 15 minutes ahead of Indian standard time.
People & Religion: Nepal has more than 101 ethnic groups and 92 spoken languages. Nepalese people are mainly divided into two distinct groups, the Indo-Aryans and the Mongolians. Kathmandu Valley is the spiritual and cultural meeting point of all these groups. Nepal is the only Hindu Kingdom in the World. Hindu Temples and Buddhist shrines are scattered all over the kingdom. Nepal is the birthplace of Lord Buddha, the Light of Asia. Hindus and Buddhists live together harmoniously in Nepal.
Free visa for all tourists who visit Nepal only for 3 days.
Free visa for tourist of SAARC countries and People’s Republic of China.
1. USD 30 or equivalent foreign currency for Tourist Visa W/Multiple Entry-15 days.
2. USD 40 or equivalent foreign currency for Tourist Visa W/Multiple Entr-30 days.
3. USD 100 or equivalent foreign currency, Tourist Visa W/Multiple Entry-100 days.
4. Regardless of the provision stated in 1(a) and 1(b), tourists with passport from South Asian Association for Regional Cooperation (SAARC) nations aren't required to pay visa fee for 30 days.
Fee Required to Extend Duration of Visa or Renew Visa:
- USD 2 or equivalent Nepalese currency per day for extension.
- Additional USD 20 or equivalent Nepalese currency on visa fee as per 2(b), if Multiple Entry facility is required for the extended period.
- If foreign visitors want to renew visa then have to pay additional Nepalese currency equivalent to USD 3 on the regular visa extension fee.
- Foreign visitors who have overstayed the visa period of 150 days without extension are required to pay visa fee as per provision in 2(c) and punishment as per Clause 10 sub-clause 4 of Immigration Act 2049.
- Regardless of provision stated in 2(a), 15 days is counted as minimum extension period and visa fee is charged accordingly. For extension period more than 15 days, visa fee is charged as per the provision of 2 (a).
- Visa can be obtained either on arrival in Nepal or from Nepalese Embassy or Consulate or other Mission offices abroad.
- Two passport size photograph is required.
Currency & Foreign Exchange: Foreign currencies must be exchanged only through the Banks or authorized foreign exchange dealers. The receipts from such transaction are to be obtained and retained. Visitors can exchange money at the foreign exchange counter at the airport upon arrival also. Indian Currency Rs. 500 and Rs. 1,000 paper note is not allowed to be brought in to Nepal and will not be exchanged and will not be accepted for transaction of any kind.
By Air: Tribhuvan International Airport, Kathmandu.
By land: (1) Kakarbhitta (2) Birgung (3) Belhiya (Bhairahawa) (4) Nepalgunj (5) Dhangadi (6) Jogbani (Biratnagar) and (7) Mahendra Nagar in Nepal-India border and (8) Kodari in Nepal-China border.
The overland tourists entering the kingdom with their vehicles must possess an international carnet or complete customs formalities.
Customs Formalities: All baggage must be declared and cleared through the customs on the part of entry. Personal effects are permitted free entry. The duty on articles brought by the visitor varies according to the volume and value of the goods. A tourist may bring in dutiable goods, such as tobacco and liquors, within the prescribed quantity free of duty. Carrying narcotics, arms and ammunition are strictly prohibited. Visitors can export souvenirs to their respective countries. Gold, silver, precious stones, wild animals and their skins, horns, wild flora and fauna etc. and all drugs whether processed or in their natural state are strictly prohibited to export.
Passenger Service Charge (Airport Departure Tax)
NRs. 1,356 Per Person for departure to SAARC (South Asian) countries: Bangladesh, Maldives, Bhutan, India, Pakistan and Sri Lanka. And NRs. 1,695 for departure to other international destinations.
From To Day Month
9 AM 5 PM Monday to Friday February to mid to November mid
9 PM 4 PM Monday to Friday November mid to February mid
9 AM to 3:30 PM Monday to Friday Round the year
Note: Government offices and banks are closed on Saturdays and other official Holidays.
Electricity: 220 Voltage
Communication: Communication facility available in the popular trekking route: